Sunday, January 1, 2012

Miracles

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about miracles. I have been the recipient of countless blessings from heaven. It is such a testimony to me that we are not left alone in our struggles. Heavenly Father doesn't take our troubles away but he does provide the support we need to make it through them. From time to time I hope to share these miracles with you. Here is a beginning:

  • Doctors: I have been blessed with the most amazing and inspired doctors. I didn't search them out, but over and over again I have been sent to the doctors I needed to see. I'm not talking about them just knowing what I've needed medically although that is part of it. This goes way beyond that. They have watched me with vigilance even when I had decided I was tired of the continuous visits and testing. This is particularly true of my surgeon who has been tracking me for the past three years. He wanted me to come in for various tests every three months. I know I wouldn't have done this if left on my own. He called me up every three months and insisted I come in. Time after time he encouraged me to have genetic testing. He is the doctor that did the surgery that finally found my cancer after it had been missed by countless mammograms, ultrasounds, and MRIs over the past few years. He and others have worked together and taken on my insurance company so that I could finally get the treatment needed. It is a miracle to me that I have been blessed with so many good doctors where I am not a number, but a person with unique needs they have been willing to fight for.

  • My Aunt and cousin: For a couple of years my doctor had been encouraging me to get tested for the BRCA genes. I never got the test because my insurance wouldn't pay for it and it was quite expensive. Then my sister told me about a Facebook post from one of my cousins. She talked about how her mom (my aunt) and my cousin had the testing and were positive for the BRCA2 gene. When I heard this news I immediately knew I had to have the test. I tested positive as well and opted for prophylactic surgery. My cancer was found in that surgery. Without this test and subsequent surgery, who knows how long it would have been and how much my cancer would have spread before it showed up on imaging. I am so grateful for the courage of my aunt and cousin to be tested and the miracle that I was able to know about it. Without them I don't know if I would have done the test.

  • Initial denial of my surgery by my insurance: Okay, I can hear you asking why I consider being denied coverage of my surgery a miracle. This denial postponed my first surgery by almost a month which also delayed the starting date of my medical leave from teaching. As a result of this delay I have enough leave to last until four days from of the end of the school year should I need to take that much time off. If I had had surgery when originally planned this would not be the case.
In the months to come I hope to share more of the miracles I have been blessed with. Without a doubt I know Heavenly Father watches over His children. I know His hand is guiding my life and that of my family.

8 comments:

  1. Charolette, I'm so thankful for your blog! I think Allison was just about ready to change her phone number! I didn't want to bother her but I did want to know how you where doing. You are simply amazing! You are an inspiration of love , hope and tremendous faith to us all. Thank you again for keeping us updated. We continue to pray for you and your family. Love your cousin Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte, thanks to you and Alison for setting up this blog. I'm amazed, but not surprised, at the faith and courage on display here. I've looked up to you ever since I spent those nine months with your incredible family down in Monument Valley. You're in my prayers every day. Love, your cousin Golden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to totally agree with Elise and Golden. There are miracles that happen on a daily bases but many times we are to busy to take notice. You are truly a daughter of our Heavenly Father and he is with you 100% on time time. I know you and your family will continue to be blessed and see those little and big miracles. I pray we will all take the time to stop and look for ours. They are there for us all. I sure do love you. You are such a Cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte,
    You are such a positive example for the rest of us! Thank you for sharing your thoughts here on this blog. Taking the time to see the "little miracles" will sustain you during the low times too. Sometimes the blessings are small and sometimes they are great. You will continue to have great blessings through this tough time. Having such a great support system helps too! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    Love,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for that beautiful post. I can't help but be so inspired and grateful for my own life and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. (That last post was written by Erin Webb Trump:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for writing this. I know it's not always easy to see miracles in the middle of difficult times. But your perspective helps me to see those blessings, too, and remember that even though Heavenly Father can't always take away our problems, He is there to help as much as possible. I'm grateful for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charlotte, I have to add my opinion that you certainly are a bearer of hope and an example of faith and valiance to us all. Remember to read everything on these blog posts when the going is tough and you feel sick. You could even ask one of your 3 sweet kids to read them out loud to you when you are too sick to stare at a computer screen. We love you so much and we will keep saying that again and again.

    ReplyDelete